Monday, March 28, 2011

Closing Comments from the Trip Leaders


Sadly, our trip has come to an end, but I could not be any more satisfied with our results. As a trip leader, I was anxious but scared to kick start our trip and watch it unravel. Planning this trip from scrap was nerve racking and tough. My co-trip leader and I found it difficult to navigate what direction we wanted to go in and I was worried that our group would not leave with their questions about immigration answered. Knowing that I was responsible for 9 other people and their experience in NYC was a lot of pressure that I was not sure I was prepared for. What if something went wrong? What if they all didn’t get along? But it could have turned out any better. I got to spend an entire week with 10 other beautiful, smart girls and our fearless Staff Advisor (or “chaperon” as someone put it). Our group dynamic turned out perfectly and from the feedback from our last reflection, they left with many lessons learned. There is no more of a self-satisfying feeling then hearing your participants saying all the things that you were hoping they would leave with. One of girls had stated that they realized that this trip was much more than serving others, but learning from the people we were serving…and that is exactly what ASB is, a serve LEARNING experience. We were not at Bronx International to make a significant difference in each student’s lives, but to learn from their experiences. Knowing that each one of my team members had made a connection at Bronx, was impacted, and intend on sharing their experience back home, is all I could as for.

The students and staff at Bronx International High School has provided us with an experience we will carry on for the rest of our lives. The students there are continuing a mental, emotional, and physical battle in adjusting to a foreign country and learning a completely new language. They weep for the home they left behind, for one that challenges them everyday.  They are truly a great and courageous group of kids that take life a day at a time. And the teacher, they are true heroes. It is no walk in the park to work in an urban, international high school. To teach in an urban high school is a challenge in itself, but to have the patience and motivation to work with lower class, non-English speaking students, who individually have a story, is definitely a challenge. I commemorate these teachers and aspire to have their determination in my future as a teacher.

Thank you BXIHS for having us.

Thank you to my team for giving me an amazing week full of laughs and memorable times.

Co-trip leader, I couldn’t have done it with out you! We make a great team J

Tay, you are absolutely the best and most supportive friend and SA. I couldn’t have asked anyone else to come with me. Thanx J

Thanx for reading,

~Jem <3  

No comments:

Post a Comment